removing and replacing nozzles

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jferguson

removing and replacing nozzles

Post by jferguson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Since learning that nozzles should not be switched from one tube to another because the nozzle bores are slightly undersized for an interference fit when tightened up, I wonder if it would be better to always use a new nozzle if one needs to be removed for cleaning? I print only PETG with my M2.

airscapes

Re: removing and replacing nozzles

Post by airscapes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:14 am

Invest in some eSun cleaning filament and use it between every material change and every so often of you never change material and you will never have to remove a nozzle until it is worn out. I have 4 hot ends each with a different nozzle size and never ever never ever ever remove the nozzle. Before you switch a hot end, run cleaning filament, wipe nozzle when hot so you can set initial Z offset with feeler. This will last a life time and you will gain all those hours of trying to clean a nozzle with a torch.. waste of time and energy..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/eSUN-Nozzle-Cl ... AOSw2IxfSc~-

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am

the event which causes the need to change a nozzle is if the filament spool jams. the filament doesn't feed and what's in the hot section bakes solid. It took me a while to see that the reel (?) problem was that spools could get hung-up in the Esun heated spool feeder. I ran five spools through it before starting to have this problem, but have been unable to see how it is caused. the rollers roll, the thing is level and yet????

And yes, I'm scrupulous about avoiding tangles in the spool. Maybe I'll be lucky and not have the problem again, but the question still stands. will a removed and replaced nozzle on the same tube seal just as well?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Ok, I see what you are saying, I have never left a hot end on over night with PETG in it. As far removing a nozzle to clean and reinstalling on the same hot end, I have done it in the past when I first got the machine and was successful. Eventually I cracked the nozzle trying to change sizes with out cleaning it first.
Good luck finding and correcting the root cause of the issue.