Noob.. new to M2

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Amphagory

Noob.. new to M2

Post by Amphagory » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi All,

I have just bought a used M2 and was wondering which parts I should print for reserve in case any of the current ones break?

Mike

jsc

Re: Noob.. new to M2

Post by jsc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:55 pm

Stock parts are listed here:

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-components

You will want the Extruder Motor Mount and a Filament Drive, those are the most often replaced parts.

Beefed up versions, which I recommend:
Motor mount: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:432956
Filament drive: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:433292

Amphagory

Post by Amphagory » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks for the replay JSC! I have started printing and getting some pitting or bubbles or some artifact on the top cover surface.

I have bought feeler gauge to level my bed so I think that is ok... but I've been reading about extrusion multiplier and width.
I was looking into calibrating this part of my machine, but not much information specific to the M2 or I am blind.
I have found other resources, but unsure which one(s) to use.

Also, I was wondering what maintenance I should be doing to this unit? Oiling and things to watch out for ?

Mike

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Ed Nisley has posted his calibration procedure several times for setting extrusion settings recently. Unfortunately, phpBB forum search seems to suck. Google "site:forum.makergear.com ednisley calibration" for some examples. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1350

It involves printing a single wall cube and measuring the wall thickness with calipers. I recommend it.

Maintenance consists of the lubrication routine that should have been on one of the pieces of paper that came with your printer. Basically, 3-in-one or similar light machine oil on the smooth Z rods, lithium grease on the linear rails and threaded rod. Once per month, or more frequently if you are printing often.

Amphagory

Post by Amphagory » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply again JSC!

I bought my printer used, so I never received that paper I read about... but if lubing the unit is all I need to do, then this product is so low maintenance :)

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:12 am

jsc wrote:Ed Nisley has posted his calibration procedure several times for setting extrusion settings recently. Unfortunately, phpBB forum search seems to suck. Google "site:forum.makergear.com ednisley calibration" for some examples. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1350

It involves printing a single wall cube and measuring the wall thickness with calipers. I recommend it.

Maintenance consists of the lubrication routine that should have been on one of the pieces of paper that came with your printer. Basically, 3-in-one or similar light machine oil on the smooth Z rods, lithium grease on the linear rails and threaded rod. Once per month, or more frequently if you are printing often.

Whats your thoughts on PTFE grease and oil. I used them with my old printer and found them to be good but I have heard that they may degrade rubber over time.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:50 am

its not good for bearings. the small particles of teflon on a microscopic level wedge themselves under the balls like a wheel chock which causes the bearings to slide instead of roll. needless to say this results in premature failure.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 pm

jimc wrote:its not good for bearings. the small particles of teflon on a microscopic level wedge themselves under the balls like a wheel chock which causes the bearings to slide instead of roll. needless to say this results in premature failure.
Good to know. Gun oil it is for the bearing rods then. Thanks. This forum continues to be a wealth of knowledge...I do have to echo the comments about the search though... Not great for finding answers