I cant seem to get nice prints

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Matt_Sharkey

Re: I cant seem to get nice prints

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:55 am

jsc wrote:1. Are you using anything on the glass? Try hairspray or glue stick or diluted white glue. Bare glass will work for a few prints, but it will quickly stop holding on tight enough to prevent peeling up unless kept meticulously clean.

2. You are probably printing too far from the bed. Get a set of feeler gauges from Amazon or an auto parts store, they're very cheap. Find the one that says 0.006, then adjust your z stop until it just drags out from between the glass and the nozzle when the stop trips. Check several areas of the bed. You can see in that base print that your first layer looks thicker than the others.

3. Run Ed's suggested calibration to dial in your extrusion multiplier. (Or just keep bumping it up until your perimeters fill in if you don't care too much about absolute dimensional accuracy.)
1. okay, i didn't know the quality of the glasses surface went down that much. I used a purple glue stick in the past, but it held way too strong. is hairspray weaker?

2. I will put in an order for a feeler gauge soon, or simply run software corrections until it looks better.

3. i was wondering if it was that. what about adjusting the extrusion width multplier to 110% for perimeters? would that get the same effect while keeping other features the same?

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:53 am

Re: 3, if you go the careful calibration route, you will have the benefit of not having to suffer through round after round of ad hoc tweaking. Do you have calipers? Mine were like $7 from Home Depot, and I use them constantly.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:49 pm

yes I have a nice pair of digital calipers at home. the printer is at work/school so I tend to forget the essential equipment. I'll probably just ask the Dean to put out for some measuring equipment, Or go bug the physics teacher for his calipers.