Getting started with new M3 ID and Octoprint

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
paynterf

Getting started with new M3 ID and Octoprint

Post by paynterf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:37 am

Hi,

Just received my brand-new M3 ID printer, and have worked my way through the initial setup and initial keychain print - very nice!

However, I'm at a bit of a loss now how to proceed from here, as I am unfamiliar with an Octoprint-centric setup; all my previous printers had control panels and/or SD card interfaces. So, if you can bear with me while I ask some dumb questions...

The M3 Octoprint server has (at least to me) a very strange URL - something like 'http://m3printerxxxxx.local', where the 'x's are derived from the printer serial number. When I look at the Octoprint server page, I can see it acquired an address on my local subnet, but I still had to disable the firewall on my laptop to be able to connect. I assume this is due to a port being blocked by the firewall, but I'm not sure which port or what to do about it. I really don't like the idea of having to disable my laptop's firewall to talk to my printer ;-(. Any pointers on proper firewall configuration would be appreciated. If it makes a difference, I'm using the wired ethernet connection rather than wifi.

I have been using S3D for years with my now-defunct PowerSpec 3D PRO, and have the latest version. I have also downloaded and installed the M3 ID profiles from the Makergear website. Do I need the 'Software Redemption Card' that came with my M3?

A real small nit, but I noticed that at the conclusion of my first test print (the MG keychain), the print bed moved to the full rear position - just the opposite of what my Prusa does. Is this the normal end-of-print behavior?

In the meantime, I'm working my way through some Octoprint tutorials, starting with the 'Octoprint Tutorial Series' by Joe Mike Terranella.

TIA,

Frank