Getting started with linux mint?

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
_Mitch_

Getting started with linux mint?

Post by _Mitch_ » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:49 am

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I can get some help running my m2 with linux mint. Before switching my laptop to linux I was using repetier-host that I downloaded in 2014. I found a youtube video to download the latest version of repetier-host on my linux laptop and the program seems to run fine but I'm unsure how to connect the printer. I'm not sure if it's relevant but I haven't updated the firmware since I got the printer in 2013 so can that be part of the problem?

Thanks

Edit: I was able to get the printer connected. I opened printer settings under the configure tab and changed port to auto and set the correct baud rate so the printer shows it's connected. Should this work? Is there a list of other settings I need to change such as bed size, home positions and beginning/end scripts? I can't seem to find the info that I used in 2014.

ednisley

Re: Getting started with linux mint?

Post by ednisley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 pm

_Mitch_ wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:49 am
running my m2 with linux mint
Although I did that for quite a few years, it's a whole lot easier to install Octopi on a dedicated Raspberry Pi, configure it once, then control the printer from any PC / phone / tablet on your local network with no further hassle.

Basically, I do all the modeling & slicing at my desk, store all the files on a "file server" (a grandly named Dell Optiplex desktop box) in the basement, upload them to Octopi, and start the printing from my phone while standing

These old Pronterface config values may help set up repetier-host:
https://softsolder.com/2013/04/23/maker ... iguration/

Using an underpowered laptop didn't go well:
https://softsolder.com/2016/07/11/inspi ... ontroller/

If you install Octopi, you can then add an RPi camera and watch the proceedings:
https://softsolder.com/2019/10/04/maker ... era-mount/

Definitely better than the laptop!

_Mitch_

Post by _Mitch_ » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 am

Thanks for the Octopi suggestion, it is on the list of things I'd like to learn but I was hoping to use the laptop since it's something I already have. Since the laptop ran the printer just fine with windows 7, shouldn't it still run the printer just fine? The hardware seemed to work just fine, I just switched to a less bloated OS.

I can connect to the printer with repetier host v2.16 and cura v4.4.1 but I'm unsure of how to setup the software for the printer. It seems like any of the information I can find for the m2 revD is outdated for the software or I can find info on how to set up m3 printers. For example I found a good tutorial on how to set up the m2 on repetier host v.9, so it wasn't helpful. I found a cura profile for cura v2.3 but I can't get it to import into cura v4.4.1. On the other hand the octoprint guide on the makergear website is written for the m3. I know it's supposed to be easier to just import a profile instead of scratch building one but it'd be nice to have a written guide for a starting point. I guess I'll see if in can piece together enough info to build a cura profile.

_Mitch_

Post by _Mitch_ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm

After working on it this weekend it seems that I've been overthinking the problem. I homed each axis to make sure everything moved in the right direction, fiddled with the temp and start/end scripts and hit print. I have quite a bit to learn but I'm happy to have a few successful prints without the machine crashing. It just seems like there was so much more setup involved with the first time I used the printer but I guess the software has come a long way since then.