Any Setup Required to Use Pronterface?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Gwhite

Any Setup Required to Use Pronterface?

Post by Gwhite » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:46 pm

I want to start using Pronterface to control my printer for things like filaments changes. I've given up on Simplify3D being a viable option in the long run.

Are there are printer specific configuration settings I need to be aware of to use Pronterface with my M2E? I thing MakerGear supplied Pronterface with the machine, but I don't know if they provided it with any configuration settings. I suppose I could check the SD card that came with my machine, but it's 5 years old and I'd like to work with the latest version.

Thanks!

Gwhite

Re: Any Setup Required to Use Pronterface?

Post by Gwhite » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:45 pm

I now have Pronterface up & running, and talking to my printer. I've set the build volume to match the M2E, and I've tweaked the feed rates to the ones I use in S3D. I've verified that all the XY&Z commands move in the right direction.

That's about all I need for my immediate purposes. However, I'd like to make sure I have it fully configured so I can do more advanced things in the future. Under Settings - Options - Settings, the entries I'm not sure about are the home positions, and the Z offset.

I'm pretty sure the X&Y home positions are at zero, which is the default. On the M2E, the Z-axis limit switch is with the bed at the bottom, which would be Z = +200 mm (I think). Is that what I need to enter in the "Z Home Pos." box?

The Z offset box is the last mystery. I know there is an offset set in the firmware so that a Z=0 command gets to the correct height. I assume that if Pronterface tells the bed to go to Z=0, the firmware offset is applied automatically, and it all works. Should I leave the offset = 0, or do I need to query the firmware and put the Z offset into Pronterface?

Thanks!