Klipper

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jferguson

Klipper

Post by jferguson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm

https://github.com/KevinOConnor/klipper

I wasn't able to find any reference to this project here, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried it, or if not looked at it and decided not to try it.

On our machines, this software would move the dynamic motion calculations from the Rambo to the Raspberry Pi (Octopi). The software on the Octopi would process the G-Code, produce accelration, deceleration, smooth direction changes via look-ahead processing and so forth. It would do a better job at this than the Rambo becuase of the greater processing power in the Octopi and presumably (?) because of more sophisticated mathematics and architecture.

The firmware on the Rambo is flashed to a form which seems likely to be pretty dumb, basically it does the movements without any processing itself.

The advantages of this setup are listed on O'Conner's github site.

I have twelve other projects underway and won't be able to get to this probably until February, but wondered if anyone else had looked at it.

john

spmahoney78

Re: Klipper

Post by spmahoney78 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:45 am

I'm looking at this as well. there is also a Pi hat available with SMC2130 drivers on it.

looks like an interesting option for upgrading the stock hardware

N5QM

Post by N5QM » Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

I know this is an old post, but in case anyone is interested, I created a basic configuration and was able to print with it etc. I have submitted a pull request to get my configuration added to the repository for others to be able to use and test with.

My printer is from ~2016, the 24v variant with the black and silver Z steper, but has been upgraded to the V4 hotend.

My testing thus far has gone well, no noticeable reduction in print quality and maybe a slight improvement compared to Marlin 1.x when printing at the same speeds.

When printing faster, 120mm/s compared to 80mm/s with no reduction for outlines, infill, or minimal layer times, things go downhill as I am using the stock cooling fan and I can't get the PLA cooled off fast enough.

Here is the pull request in the event someone wants to take a look...

https://github.com/KevinOConnor/klipper/pull/2896

R
Robert
MakerGear M2 (24v) - v4 Hotend - PEI Build Surface

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Wed May 20, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks for posting on this. at the faster speeds, would you think that reducing extruder temperature a bit would be constructive?

N5QM

Post by N5QM » Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm not sure. I expect that a higher temperature may be required due to the high extrusion rate.

I may give it a shot, but having a better cooling solution would also be very helpful as I am just using the stock part cooling fan with no ducting to concentrate the flow of air on the part being printed.
Robert
MakerGear M2 (24v) - v4 Hotend - PEI Build Surface

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Wed May 20, 2020 4:35 pm

I agree that reducing heat may cause the extruder not to be able to melt filament quickly enough to keep up. a ducgted fan does eem a good fix. keep us up on what you are doing.

best,
john

fmeroney

Post by fmeroney » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:43 am

Did you update your config files? I'm trying to get some settings close but they dont seem to match up now. Im sure Klipper has changed the format...

Thx!
N5QM wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm
I know this is an old post, but in case anyone is interested, I created a basic configuration and was able to print with it etc. I have submitted a pull request to get my configuration added to the repository for others to be able to use and test with.

My printer is from ~2016, the 24v variant with the black and silver Z steper, but has been upgraded to the V4 hotend.

My testing thus far has gone well, no noticeable reduction in print quality and maybe a slight improvement compared to Marlin 1.x when printing at the same speeds.

When printing faster, 120mm/s compared to 80mm/s with no reduction for outlines, infill, or minimal layer times, things go downhill as I am using the stock cooling fan and I can't get the PLA cooled off fast enough.

Here is the pull request in the event someone wants to take a look...

https://github.com/KevinOConnor/klipper/pull/2896

R