Prusaslicer 2.x

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
airscapes

Prusaslicer 2.x

Post by airscapes » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:16 pm

After the last upgrade or S3D which I did not install and there lack of any real progress, I have started looking at Prusaslicer which was branched from Slic3r and developed by pruas for there machines. It is still open source and very much like S3D. Their branch as been converted from perl to C so it is as fast as S3D and does not crash and hang like Slic3r.
I spent an afternoon with Slic3r 1.3 and got a working profile for my M2, exported the profile bundle and imported it into Prusaslicer. There will be some tuning as all I did was print 2 walled squares. Speed parameters are many and most of them I just winged so keep in mind . This is for the .5 nozzle with a .5 extrusion width and PLA Lots to tweak but function.
M2V4RE_PrusaSlicer_config_bundle.ini.gz
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
Version 2.1.1 can be found here https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/ ... sion_2.1.1

Gwhite

Re: Prusaslicer 2.x

Post by Gwhite » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks! Which flavor of M2 do you have? I've got an M2E.

One reason I've been nervous about switching to Cura is the only profile I've found is for an older version of M2 where the Z axis stop is at the top instead of the bottom, and people reported having the platform slamming into the extruder when they tried it on an M2E. I don't know if they gave up or fixed it, but nobody has responded to my posts or PM's about it a while back.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Yes mine is Revision E.
Like I said, this is just as complicated as S3D but also looks very much the same once you start looking at the settings.. There are 3 set of settings, the printer, the filament and the print.. will take a bit to remember where everything is but not that long.. I am fairly sure you have as much knowledge and experience with S3D as I do so block out an afternoon, set up a cal square with S3d print it and then work on that same model with Prusaslicer. This works, won't crash anything so you are just tweaking. The one filament profile I created is called PLA, there are bunch of others that came with it which I have not really looked at. I was set up with the .5 nozzle so make sure you change if you are not using the .5.
This would have been a bit more daunting had I not know S3D inside out. I have been putting off learning a new slicer as I did not want to waste a lot of time.. thankfully this was not bad for a first go, but will probably require a bit of time to get really good with it.
Doug
Pslice.JPG
SSlice.JPG

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:08 am

Sounds very promising! Thanks!

I checked out a few reviews, and Prusa 2.x seems to be ahead of Cura these days. The (vague) similarity with S3D will also help.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I just purchased a new Prusa MK3S and am using that slicer of course. In the past I have used S3D with a Lutzbot and Makergear M2. The Prusa slicer is every bit as good as S3D. It has presets for a lot of common 3D Printers... not Makergear however.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:09 pm

There is an excellent tutorial on YouTube on how to set up PrusaSlicer for other brands of printers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Om8Nr1k6Y

I've reached my limit with S3D's treatment of their customers vis a vis Version 5. I've been going through the PrusaSlicer tutorial, and I have a copy of the M2E configuration file from Airscapes, but I want to understand things better and verify as many settings as I can before I start printing.

My one comment about PrusaSlicer so far is that they put settings in odd places. A lot of things that I adjust for maximum quality on every print job appear to be considered part of the printer configuration, rather than the settings for a specific print job. For example, the retraction settings. For the best print quality, that's a function of the filament, print temperature and print speeds more than the printer you are using. I'm sure I can change them for each print job, but storing them with the printer properties rather than the print job is very odd from an S3D perspective. It seems like I will end up saving lots of redundant info if every saved job includes printer info that never changes (like build volume, for one). One feature I use a lot in S3D is changing things like temperature and cooling from layer to layer, and I haven't seen where I can do that yet.

It may be fine once I get into it, but it seems very weird compared to what I'm used to...

Update: I finished going through the tutorial in detail, taking notes as I went. I didn't see anything equivalent to the S3D "factory file" that saves all your printer settings, model Info etc. in one file so that you can resurrect an old print job quickly. I'm not sure how/if you can save model dependent settings along with the model in PrusaSlicer.

Bioluminous

Post by Bioluminous » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:52 am

Sweet! Thanks for the tutorial link.

I agree - there are some printer settings that are better off in the print settings. I'm sure you already figured out that you can save each of the setting groups individually for later use. If I make a lot of changes to all groups I want to retrieve for certain jobs I save the entire project as a 3MF file that has everything including the model and all specific settings. Saving as a 3MF file eliminates the need to make custom profiles.

To make changes based on layer height, you can insert a custom G-code under printer settings > custom g-code > before layer change section. That's how I've done temp towers and I think that's the way it's typically done.

The latest versions have the help searcher in the top toolbar that I am using more and more. There are so many settings I have no idea what they do. Do you know anywhere I can get a good PrusaSlicer profile for the M3-ID?

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 am

It sounds like the 3MF files would be equivalent to the S3D Factory Files. I'll have to look into that.

I think if you go through the tutorial carefully, you could set up a profile for an M3-ID. The basics should be pretty straightforward. The thing that would be tricky would be any sort of auto-leveling, which I think the M3-ID has. There was no mention of that sort of advanced feature in the tutorial. That might require a customized starting script. If you have the start script for the M3-ID from an S3D profile, you presumably could import that.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm

Bioluminous wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:52 am
save each of the setting groups individually for later use
You can save all the current settings with Export → Config and reload them with Import → Config. After you finish tweaking the settings for a particular project, that's a good starting point for something similar.

Similarly, you can save / restore all the configuration settings in one lump using Export / Import → Config Bundle. You might use that to back up and restore "whole slicer" settings when installing PrusaSlicer on a different box.

They're plain old text files with an embedded version & timestamp.
very odd from an S3D perspective
And perfectly reasonable for those of us using Slic3r. <grin>

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:13 pm

ednisley wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm

You can save all the current settings with Export → Config and reload them with Import → Config. After you finish tweaking the settings for a particular project, that's a good starting point for something similar.

Similarly, you can save / restore all the configuration settings in one lump using Export / Import → Config Bundle. You might use that to back up and restore "whole slicer" settings when installing PrusaSlicer on a different box.

They're plain old text files with an embedded version & timestamp.

And perfectly reasonable for those of us using Slic3r. <grin>
Ed, what does "Save project" save.. just he model and build plate info or everything including the printer filament and what not? I to am very accustom to saving factory files which will save all info used on that particular slice.. Using names like modelname PETG .35N which can be very helpful when doing similar. Just load that file, remove model add new, slice and print.. If model needed to be altered, you know it will print just like the one you did last week.. I know it is different and there will be things to get used to, how do you manage multiple nozzle and filaments ..yeah I know you stick with PETG mostly so probably does not matter much to you.
Thanks!