Prusaslicer 2.x

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
ednisley

Re: Prusaslicer 2.x

Post by ednisley » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:50 pm

airscapes wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:13 pm
[PETG mostly
It's "PETG exclusively", to the extent that I have exactly one configuration that I use for (almost) everything.

I fiddled with the various save / restore options in Slic3r, but never really used them for anything other than a few truly oddball objects that didn't look like my usual brackets.

With that in mind, I think a "project" is everything lumped tucked into a 3MF file. You could load it, delete the solid model, add another model, and away you go. It's not obvious whether that's better than saving the current configuration and reloading it before adding the model.

I suppose I'm not nearly fussy enough. <sigh>

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:09 pm

HI Ed,
I'd be interested in seeing how you print PETG. I too have switched to it exclusively on the M2.

I replaced the glass/kapton print surface with a magnetic sheet system (Wham-Bam-something about concrete rabbits).

I had to dial down the bed and extrude temperatures to stop the PETG from bonding to the PEX - now 70 and 235 . I'm using Esun natural PETG and am pretty happy with the results.

Would it at all be possible to share the gcode for a typical (simple) print that we might see your setup?

best, for the new year,

John

Bioluminous

Post by Bioluminous » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Regarding saving project as a 3MF as opposed to exporting configs: I use 3MF saves more especially when I'm printing multiple objects that need careful placement on the bed. It saves everything like custom supports, modifiers, all the work I did. I save configs when I have some settings I will be using again like a custom filament setting. But if make a lot of changes to the settings spanning print / filament / printer settings, I definitely save as a 3MF so I don't have to bother loading all three configs over again.

Regarding custom g-codes at a particular z-height...I totally forgot that inserting the custom g-code in the before layer change section in the printer settings is not how it's done anymore. Instead, you go to the print preview window, select the height you want to make a change, control click the plus symbol, select insert custom g-code, and then you can put the temp change or whatever else you want there. No having to go back and forth to see what layer is what when doing things like temp towers.

I agree about the flex plates. I really don't like glass plates. Starting with Prusas really spoilt me with this. I got a pack of 8x10 inch self-adhesive magnetic sheets and a flexible spring steel textured plate from Amazon and both are working extremely well (had to cut the corners off the build plate to clear the bed clips).

I would also love to see the settings Ed has for PETG as I too use it exclusively.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:54 pm

With the M2 and the Z offset set correctly for the layer height and no squish with the slicer, petg will hold well at 60C on Polymide and pop off with a tap of a wooden handle. I do a lot of PETG as well.. maybe I will try that flex stuff some day, just can not imagine it flat with in .02 mm like the glass is. I really don't change much between filament materials.. temp maybe retraction a bit.. changes are more dictated by the model size and shape than filament material. PETG to ABS is virtually no change.. hotter bed for ABS.. Like Ed, I have learned that way a part looks is not as important as how it hold up.. Attaching a photo of some PETG parts I sell printed with .75 nozzle sequentially with S3D.. can you do multiple processes with PS and print sequentially like this?
covers.jpg

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:28 pm

I'm still learning my way around PrusaSlicer 2.3. I imported airscapes' config for the M2E, and it shows up in the upper right hand pull down list. However, I wanted to check the settings, but it doesn't show up in the pull-down list under Printer Settings on the left. I need to change the nozzle size, for example.

With no obvious way to check/change things, I decided to learn how to set up a config from scratch. I'm about half way through the YouTube tutorial, and for the most part, so far so good. One of the things it wants is "Machine limits" on things like speeds, acceleration, jerk & feedrates:
Machine Limits.gif
Does anyone know where I can find this info? I checked the M2E documentation online and came up empty. It may be buried in my S3D config, but I'm not sure where to look.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:37 pm

Check the output of M503
I am fairly sure I am stock but I also only half understand it..
Also may be in here someplace http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-technical-guide
Send: M503
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo: M92 X88.88 Y88.88 Z1007.70 E471.50
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo: M203 X200.00 Y200.00 Z25.00 E25.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo: M201 X900 Y1000 Z30 E1000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo: M204 S2000.00 T3000.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X4.00 Z0.44 E1.00
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z12.41
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo: M301 P19.97 I1.39 D71.56
Recv: ok

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks! I gave that a go. I got:

Steps per unit:
M92 X88.88 Y88.88 Z1007.70 E471.50
Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
M203 X200.00 Y200.00 Z25.00 E25.00
Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
M201 X900 Y1000 Z30 E2000
Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
M204 S2000.00 T3000.00
Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X4.00 Z0.40 E1.00
Home offset (mm):
M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z11.91
PID settings:
M301 P25.89 I1.94 D86.53

I checked it over, and everything is the same as the one above except for two settings. My extruder acceleration (M201) is at 2000, vs 1000 on yours. Any idea what's up with that? Mine was bought in July of 2017. It may be that they backed off on that in newer ones.

Also, my Z Home Offset (M206) is half a mm different. I suspect this comes from the bed leveling process, but if so, that will vary with how high you clamp the hot end.

The one piece of this that has me nervous is that the M2E zeroes Z at the bottom, while Z=0 for printing is at the top. I know someone tried to set up a Cura config & had a problem with slamming their hot end into their build plate. I haven't seen any place that appears to address that, but maybe it's all swept under the rug in the firmware.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:39 pm

I found some useful info on the configuration structure in PrusaSlicer. Here's a quick description:

https://www.reddit.com/r/prusa3d/commen ... slicer_20/

There are three configurations in PS:

Printer Settings: This contains info about your hardware, but it also overlaps a bit with other settings in that it contains default settings for things like extruder & bed temperature.

Filament Settings: This contains info for a specific filament, and has some redundant entries for things like the temperature settings. The settings in the filament config will override the printer default settings. This is where you can also set things like cooling, extrusion multiplier, retraction, etc.

Print Settings: This is where you specify a lot of print details specific to the model you are printing. It includes info on layers, infil, skirts, speeds, etc. The terminology they use is different from S3D. For example, they talk about vertical and horizontal shells instead of perimeters. They mention having different Print configs for different types of models. Unless the smarts under the hood are WAY better than S3D, I suspect I will have Print settings for almost every different model I work with.

As best I can tell, the original configuration from airscapes contains just a filament settings configuration (at least that's how it shows up in my program). I have now created a Printer config, a Filament config for eSun PLA+, and I'm working on a basic Print config. Once I get a full set saved, I'll try to export a Configuration Bundle file and make it available. I think exporting a Config alone just saves the current three settings in use. In fact, if you import them, I'm not even sure if it loads them automatically. It will add them to the list of available profiles, but you may have to select them to put them into play.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:22 pm

I had posted this in another thread
A 3mf file which should have everything to print the included model
https://misc.airscapesart.com/prusaslic ... leg_V1.3mf

This is the ini file, right click and save or it will just show up as text
https://misc.airscapesart.com/prusaslic ... bundle.ini
Last edited by airscapes on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:33 pm

jferguson wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:09 pm
share the gcode
CAUTION: My heavily customized start_gcode will crash your M2, because you haven't relocated the Z-axis switch, haven't calibrated Z=0 at the platform surface, and don't put the XY=0 origin in the center of the platform:

https://softsolder.com/2015/03/31/maker ... -whatever/
https://softsolder.com/2019/02/11/maker ... t-thereof/
https://softsolder.com/2020/12/14/maker ... ent-check/

You have been warned. [grin]

Remembering I use only PETG and have one group of settings, here's the current result of File → Export → Export Config as a GitHub Gist:

https://gist.github.com/ednisley/34015f ... f94f8c5a61

I think File → Import → Import Config will change all your settings to match those, after which you can tweak things to suit and save the new settings under the Print / Filament / Printer tabs as usual.