Prusaslicer 2.x

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
airscapes

Re: Prusaslicer 2.x

Post by airscapes » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:56 pm

There is a setting in Configuration > Preferences that is "Auto Center Parts" If checked you Can not move your part from the center of the bed.. was very frustrating. Uncheck that guy and it will work much more logical. There is a button in the top tool bar for arrange, just click that and it will center the objects and arrange them as the button center part did in S3d. There are arrange options if you right click the tool bar button to set default spacing. Think we need a PS tips and tricks thread. I still can not register on their forum.. maybe you have to buy a printer to join.. sneaky.. :lol:

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:43 pm

Thanks much Ed. I never load anything without reading it first. FWIW, I'm almost through configuring a Creo post-processor to run my LiuxCNC Sherline 2000. featuritis is endmic today. aakkk.
best,
John

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:34 am

I have now constructed what I thought was a complete set of all three configurations of what should be a good starting point for eSun PRO (PLA+). I imported a cal cube, and adjusted the infil and top & bottom layers to zero. I sliced it, put it in my printer and fired it up.

It heated up the bed, but as soon as the bed was up to temperature, it started running the starting G-code script (copied from S3D), which zeroes the axes and purges the extruder. However, it skipped the whole "heat up the hot end" part of the process. I shut it down before it tried to extrude anything from a cold hot end. I though it said somewhere that it runs the starting script after it had heated everything up, but apparently not. It looks like I need to add an extruder heating command to my start script.

I'll have to check out the configs people have posted, and see what I'm missing, but I'm out of time today.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:24 am

Gwhite wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:34 am
I have now constructed what I thought was a complete set of all three configurations of what should be a good starting point for eSun PRO (PLA+). I imported a cal cube, and adjusted the infil and top & bottom layers to zero. I sliced it, put it in my printer and fired it up.

It heated up the bed, but as soon as the bed was up to temperature, it started running the starting G-code script (copied from S3D), which zeroes the axes and purges the extruder. However, it skipped the whole "heat up the hot end" part of the process. I shut it down before it tried to extrude anything from a cold hot end. I though it said somewhere that it runs the starting script after it had heated everything up, but apparently not. It looks like I need to add an extruder heating command to my start script.

I'll have to check out the configs people have posted, and see what I'm missing, but I'm out of time today.
This is what I have in my printer custom start and works just like S3d

M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; wait for bed temp
M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for extruder temp
M108 S255 ; turn on M2 fans
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Y50 Z0.3 F9600 ; move forward to avoid binder clips

This is the end code
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; turn off bed
G91 ; relative mode
G1 Z10 ; lift 10mm
G90 ; absolute mode
G28 X0 ; home X axis
M84 ; disable motors

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Thanks! I'll have to play with it later this weekend. Should be an easy fix. I started by examining the G-code generated by S3D, and it has similar commands, although the temps are fixed.

I was wondering how to specify a variable parameter like the temperatures in the script. I assume the syntax of: "S[first_layer_bed_temperature]" grabs the appropriate variable.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Not sure on the Gcode, have not really taken time to learn it. If I recall I got this off the prusa forum or maybe one of the other profiles.. I forget. I do like the way the PS works. Printed some TPU rollers for a Total Gym yesterday and the outside surface is way nicer than anything S3D has been able to do.. Think it has to do with starting on the inside and working out.. but not sure.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:23 am

Well, it's getting closer....

I examined the gcode from the file PrusaSlicer created, and they are using an M104 command to turn on the hot end, which doesn't wait. There's a pop-up note that It's smart enough that if it sees the M190 command in your custom script, it lets the script run the show.

I added the two lines to get things up to temperature, and that works fine now. The catch is a concern I alluded to earlier about the Z geometry. Once it comes up to temperature and homes the 3 axes, it tries to print with the build platform down near the bottom. The build platform is about 162 mm too low (which seems like a very odd number for a 200 mm build height...). I stopped it when I realized it was off, and I may have caught it when it wasn't moving in Z. The stock MakerGear starting script I use goes through a purge & wipe cycle, and if I can make sure I stop it during the wipe, I should be able to get a more accurate assessment of the error.

There is a Z Offset under the Printer Settings - General tab that I have left at zero.
The links for the 3MF and the latest configs that were posted by airscapes appear to be broken. I imported the "V2.2-MGM2-config.ini" that airscapes posted many moons ago, and there is no Z offset in that file either.

I took a quick look at Ed's config, but I know he's done some fancy stuff with his Z coordinate setup. It will take a lot of study to figure out how that could be reverse engineered to my stock M2E.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, running M503 spits out a Z offset, which seems to vary a bit from printer to printer. However, it runs around 12 mm, and I'm guessing the value is set when you run the bed level routine.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:55 am

The Z offset on mine is adjusted by me with every layer height change, bed temp change (40C and 110C are not the same) and hot end change.. 10 - 12 is all good, it keeps the bed below the nozzle. when I put on the fiberglass plate it gets changed to 9.xxxx as that bed is a 1/4" thick. printing a square and measuring it, then adjusting M206 Z 12.xx is the way to go.. at least for me..

The files I posted should work as s3d does, not sure why you are having problems.. I have been using PS for the past several prints with no issues and better results than S3D

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:23 am
it tries to print with the build platform down near the bottom
If PrusaSlicer has different Z-axis speeds or accelerations than what you were using with S3D, this could be a symptom of having the poor overstressed motor lose its grip on reality and letting the platform drop while the leadscrew unwinds.

The numbers I've been using apply to my hardware and are not generally useful, of course.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:56 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:55 am
The Z offset on mine is adjusted by me with every layer height change, bed temp change (40C and 110C are not the same) and hot end change.. 10 - 12 is all good, it keeps the bed below the nozzle. when I put on the fiberglass plate it gets changed to 9.xxxx as that bed is a 1/4" thick. printing a square and measuring it, then adjusting M206 Z 12.xx is the way to go.. at least for me..

The files I posted should work as s3d does, not sure why you are having problems.. I have been using PS for the past several prints with no issues and better results than S3D
Can you check your post that had the 3MF & config file links? They appear to have been truncated and don't work.

In the meantime, I'm going to dig further into the gcode for the cal cube from the two slicers. The wipe operation is right after the homing process, and that should provide a clue.

Thanks!