Filaflex vs ninjaflex

The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Re: Filaflex vs ninjaflex

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:43 pm

You know guys, for those who might be a bit hesitant about using a full sized propane torch to clear a nozzle (or who might not want to purchase one just for this), I wonder if one of those little Creme Brulee torches wouldn't work just as well. They're about the size of your hand and cheeeeep. Next clog i get, I'm going to test one on it. (i've got a couple on hand for - well, creme brulee. :lol: )

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 am

It sounds intimidating, but after I did it once, I was like "man, that was easy!"

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:59 am

jereywolf wrote:It sounds intimidating, but after I did it once, I was like "man, that was easy!"
It's a LOT easier on the V4 or E3D. The E3D you can probably just pick up a zillion eBay nozzles for like $0.80 each and call it done (and not even torch them), but who knows what kind of Chinesium they're made from. The V4 nozzles are more expensive but actually tolerate the torch over and over.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:44 am

Jim did you test this esun flex on the parts?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:46 am

sure did. not sure what frame it fit. just took a random stl and printed.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Jim, I take it the eSun Flex that you're beta testing is completely different than the flexible filament that they have been offering for a while? I have a roll of that stuff and its "flexible" but not as much as you would hope.

I have a spool of black ninjaflex coming on friday, so I'm gonna designate the hot end that I bought off you as my ninjaflex hot end and hopefully it will cooperate seeing as it will have never seen any other filament. Either way its not a big deal because I've been wanting an E3D setup for a while.

Question: For those of you who have the E3D V6 hot ends, do you run them for specific jobs/materials, and still utilize your v3b's for other more "run of the mill" jobs? Reason I ask is, when I get an E3D setup, should I order several or can I get by with one or 2?

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Your not going to swap back and firth from e3d to v3b. I mean it can be done but would be too much a pia. The bew eaun glex is different than the original. The original is a flexible plastic. Pla based i believe. The new stuff is rubber. Like a heavy duty rubber band. Its exactly like ninjaflex and will rebound after you stretch it.

ErikAkia

Post by ErikAkia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 pm

I have had no problems swapping out Ninjaflex to PLA to PETG and back on my e3d v6. I even posted a video on youtube to that affect. I did have some problems with eSuns semi flex that I bought a while back. After about 1/4 roll it clogged the nozzle and I had tear it down and clean it out. This may or may not have been the fault of the filament as I have since learned that there can be an issue with the e3d where a retracted filament can solidify outside the melt zone into the small crack that is between the PTFE tube and hotend. I have not tried again since that first clog but will definitely not use retraction on the flexible filaments.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 pm

I guess what I meant was, if you were in my shoes, would you just keep using the v3b's for things like PLA which is pretty straight forward, and get one v6 for ninjaflex, or would you just retire all the v3bs and replace them all with v6's and have one for each material because they're far superior to the v3bs no matter the material or job?

insta

Post by insta » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 am

I'd keep both if you put the Z homing switch at the bottom and do the Z offset in software, and also don't care about the thermistor being off. :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org