No Power Switch?

The place to discuss the M3-ID
paynterf

No Power Switch?

Post by paynterf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:24 am

New M3-ID owner.

Sometimes I go for several days without printing anything and I would like to power the M3 down when I'm not using it, as there is a small amount of noise from the power supply, and I see no reason to kill electrons unnecessarily. Unfortunately I can't find any way to power it down short of unplugging the main power 'brick'.

Anything like a power switch somewhere that I'm missing?

TIA,

Frank

ednisley

Re: No Power Switch?

Post by ednisley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 pm

paynterf wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:24 am
can't find any way to power it down short of unplugging the main power 'brick'.
Page 14 of the M3-ID User Guide (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/ ... 0968660542) shows how to shut down the Raspberry Pi running Octoprint before you click the power strip you've added to corral all the wall warts for lights & cameras & suchlike …

Always always shut down the Raspberry Pi before turning it off. Otherwise, it'll eventually scramble its filesystem and, because nobody keeps a copy of the SD card, you'll be in a world o' hurt.

With that in mind, having a copy of the SD card is always a good idea …

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:51 pm

@paynterf - the power switch is on the power supply next to the power cord

paynterf

Post by paynterf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks to both responders - I properly shut down Octoprint as per the manual, and then also found the power switch on the power module - yay!

You mentioned an SD card - is that part of the Octoprint module? Where do I find this critter so I can indeed make a backup

TIA,

Frank