Changing block heater from 0 to 1 on RAMBO

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
thecadman99

Changing block heater from 0 to 1 on RAMBO

Post by thecadman99 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 pm

I'm having a problem- every time I activate my extruder heater, my USB disconnects- weird I know.
I've connected a heater directly to the screw terminal plug on HEAT0 and still get the same problem, so I believe its in the board and not the wiring.

To troubleshoot I'm going to move the heater to the HEAT1 position on the board as in the linked photo. I also need to change the thermistor so it will know its monitoring the correct heater.

Are these settings in the marlin firmware? I'm not finding them in Configuration.h? Maybe I'm just overlooking them...
Thanks for any help.

https://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/b/b ... n-main.jpg

ednisley

Re: Changing block heater from 0 to 1 on RAMBO

Post by ednisley » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:37 pm

thecadman99 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 pm
activate my extruder heater, my USB disconnects
Perhaps one of the power supply inputs has worked loose: suddenly drawing 8-ish amps can glitch the supply and away you go.

If any of the screws on the power input block seem loose, extract the wire and make sure the connector guts are still in good shape.
connected a heater directly to the screw terminal plug on HEAT0 and still get the same problem
If it's the same heater, there can be an internal short. Admittedly, it's less likely than an open, but we've seen a few over the years. The resistance should be on the order of 5 Ω and stable while you poke around.