adjusting gap

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
psd

adjusting gap

Post by psd » Mon May 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi, I had previously been printing with my hotend too high from build plate and was getting a lot of bad prints.
I have recalibrated / re-leveled a bit lower and have been pretty happy with the results, but it seems as if I am smashing the layer a bit too much.

I am using Simplify3D, what is the simplest way to experiment with changing the gaps? Can I do it in the program or do I have to recalibrate, re-level the machine and guess at the height?

I use the blue feeler plastic tongue that came with my M2 but guessing the right amount of resistance is a bit of a mystery.

Does anyone know if mm feeler gauges are much more precise and easier to use?

What mm gap is necessary for a good PLA print on PEI?
thanks!
Peter
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

sthone

Re: adjusting gap

Post by sthone » Mon May 02, 2016 9:52 pm

You can do it via the Quick start guide again or there is a stand alone program which you can download HERE which allows you to just set the nozzle gap without having to go through the whole leveling process.

There is a way to make small changes via the Communication window in S3D machine control panel but being new you should probably use the programs with the feeler gauge so I won't even go into detail at this point. (Get a real metal feeler gauge though, it would probably be easier and more accurate.)

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon May 02, 2016 10:11 pm

What Steve said.....i use a 0.15 mm metal feeler gauge.

Remember, if you go to a thicker gauge feeler, even by as little as 0.02 mm, you are going to have to adjust the way you treat adhesion, and will probably need to add adhesive like hairspray or glue to the plate.

psd

Post by psd » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 pm

thank you Steve and Jules.
- peter,

psd

Post by psd » Thu May 12, 2016 10:07 pm

IMG_1407.JPG
I was having a problem with the first layers of my print,
I have adjusted to .15 mm and it seems that I am having the same problem, what do you think I should do? Increase gap?
printing with eSun PLA on PEI sheet
see image, thanks!
- peter,

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu May 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Is that supposed to be solid fill inside that circle? :shock:

It doesn't look like the filament is sticking, which is a sign of the gap being too large now.

You might have to reset the gap. (Make sure you retract the filament all the way out and clean off the tip of the nozzle completely before setting the gap - a little drip of hard plastic on the end of the nozzle can set the gap too large.)

psd

Post by psd » Fri May 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Jules wrote:Is that supposed to be solid fill inside that circle? :shock:

It doesn't look like the filament is sticking, which is a sign of the gap being too large now.

You might have to reset the gap. (Make sure you retract the filament all the way out and clean off the tip of the nozzle completely before setting the gap - a little drip of hard plastic on the end of the nozzle can set the gap too large.)
thanks Jules, I recalibrate, and also cleaned up the stl. all ok now!
- peter,