How You Too Can Achieve Printing Nirvana

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: How You Too Can Achieve Printing Nirvana

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:58 pm

It's a good idea. Just use a fine grade sand paper (1000 grit or above). Gives it some tooth for the plastic to grab.

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:26 pm

I'd love to get one of these plates. What size do I need?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:41 pm

If you are talking about the MIC6 plates....slightly smaller than the size of your glass plate. (Insta pre-cuts and blasts them now for the M2 now if you want to order one. The PEI sheet can be ordered from Amazon at the links at the beginning of the thread.)

quaver

Post by quaver » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:11 am

Having read through this thread I have a few questions. As I understand it, the MIC6 aluminum plate replaces the borosilicate glass plate, correct? The MIC6 plate should then be covered with PET material (tape, sheet, other). Once so configured you print directly on the PET surface or you can use an additives (abs juice, glue stick, etc) if preferred or required.

Are the MIC6 plates available from Makergear?

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:33 am

quaver wrote:Having read through this thread I have a few questions. As I understand it, the MIC6 aluminum plate replaces the borosilicate glass plate, correct? The MIC6 plate should then be covered with PET material (tape, sheet, other). Once so configured you print directly on the PET surface or you can use an additives (abs juice, glue stick, etc) if preferred or required.

Are the MIC6 plates available from Makergear?
Yes, the MIC 6 replaces the glass. You can either use glue/hairspray on it directly, or apply a PEI surface, or tape if you prefer.

No, MakerGear does not supply MIC6 plates. This is a third-party modification. One of the members here, Insta, will order them, cut them to fit the frame and bead blast them on one side, if you do not want to do it yourself. He usually waits until he has several on order to do a batch, you can send him a Private Message if you are interested.

MIC6 plates are not cheap, but they are the only one you will ever need. It's a one time purchase.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:27 am

Am I due for another MIC6 preorder?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:56 pm

insta wrote:Am I due for another MIC6 preorder?
There have been a couple of inquiries lately. :D

NF6X

Post by NF6X » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:56 pm

A friendly little hedgehog sent me over here to learn about these MIC 6 plates as a possible upgrade for my brand-spankin'-new Rev. E printer. I'm not sure if I fully understand the concept. Is it basically a really flat, ground, stress-relieved aluminum plate to replace the borosilicate glass? What's the deal with sandblasting on one side? Does the sandblasted side go up or down? Does that answer change if I plan to put a PEI sheet on it immediately? And is 0.031" PEI the optimal thickness for the MIC 6 plate? I have a sheet of 0.062" PEI on the way from our Amazonian friends that I was planning to stick down to my original borosilicate glass.

This place is fun!

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:53 am

Really flat, not prone to chipping out, spreads bed heat more evenly. Sand blasting helps generate a little tooth for the plastic to hold onto better. It goes up, unless you're using something on top of it like PEI. I'm not sure thickness matters.

NF6X

Post by NF6X » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:04 am

So if I mount PEI on the smooth side of a MIC 6 plate, could I then put it on the printer with either the sandblasted aluminum side or the PEI side up to give me different options? Sign me up! :) I'll send a PM asking to get on the list for the next build.