New to 3D printing, trying to hone in my settings

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Jormono

New to 3D printing, trying to hone in my settings

Post by Jormono » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Hello all, I am still fairly new to 3D printing, have had some assistance with the good folks on Reddit's r/3Dprinting subreddit and have gotten to a point where I can get half decent prints, but I think, and they think, that my M2 rev E can do better.
First print and Second print
I copied a lot of the settings from the default files that came with the printer on the flash drive, I screenshotted my settings from S3D and uploaded to imgur
I would also like to know if anyone can help me with some custom gcode script, such as bringing the print bed down and forward at end of print so I can retrieve the print.

Again, any help you can provide is much appreciated, starting to run out of ideas on how to move forward with this and trying to not waste mountains of filament in the process!

Jules

Re: New to 3D printing, trying to hone in my settings

Post by Jules » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:11 pm

The second print doesn't look bad, for a print with extremely fine layer height settings. (Were you using a really low layer height with the 0.35 mm nozzle?)

There is a Beginner's Guide specific to the Rev. E machines here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

Most of the settings can be tweaked a bit for improved appearance, but they vary for every filament, so a little bit of experimenting is the best way to go. There is also a lot of information here on the forum, dealing with various trouble-shooting issues.

If you have a specific issue to resolve, just ask a question in the Troubleshooting area and someone might be able to help with it. Other than that, you could read some of the prior posts to pick up tricks. :D

Phil

Re: New to 3D printing, trying to hone in my settings

Post by Phil » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Even if you do not use Simplify3D, this link might help. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/
It has explanations of defects you often find with 3D prints.