Resetting Z Height on M2E After Nozzle Change?

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Gwhite

Resetting Z Height on M2E After Nozzle Change?

Post by Gwhite » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I've been searching for simple instructions on how to do this, but all I've found is info on earlier machines. I can run through the entire "getting started" bed leveling process, but there has
to be a quick way to re-zero things when you have to swap out the hot end, change nozzles, fix a clog, etc.

I've got Simplify3D, and I'm guessing that I could use the control panel to:

1) Under "Tools - Machine Control", jog the X&Y to the center of the bed

2) shut off the Z-axis motor drive, and manually raise the bed until the supplied feeler gauge is just touching the nozzle

3) force the Z=zero (?) in Simplify3D

That gets me close, but doesn't account for the thickness of the feeler gauge. There seems to be a major difference between the Z-axis system between the "D" & "E" versions. the "D" version used a limit stop at the top of the Z-travel, and on the "E", the limit stop is on the bottom of the travel. I don't even know if Z=0 is now at the top of the travel (i.e. when it hits the nozzle), or is now at the bottom. I'm guessing it's still at the top, but it's defined by the nozzle and set in software, rather than being mechanical.

So, what are the secret incantations required to do this?

Thanks!

sthone

Re: Resetting Z Height on M2E After Nozzle Change?

Post by sthone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 pm

On the Rev E. Printers Z=0 is at the bottom of the bed when homed and the the z-height is set in the firmware. The firmware tells it to move the bed 250mm's from the bottom home (which is why the end stop in down there now) It uses the M206 command to set an offset and is added to the 250 to get your individual z height. The quick start program basically figures this out for you and plugs it into the firmware.

You can try the stand alone z-height program (Original Beta Link I'm not sure if there is a newer version though this is an old link I have.)

or if you just need to make small changes....

From the command line in S3D

First Type M501 to read the EEPROM parameters
Look for the M206 line. (it should look something like M206 X0.0 Y0.0 Z4.20)
You can then adjust it using M206 Z[new value] so add to the number to lower starting height (e.g M206 Z4.22) or decrees the number to raise it. (e.g M206 Z4.18)
and then M500 to save it to the firmware.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks! I took a look at the program on DropBox, but the files date from March of 2106, so they pre-date the M2E by almost a year. I have no clue as to whether that makes a difference, but given the dramatic change in the way they handle the Z offset, I'm a bit nervous to just try it.

I may try the Quick Start program and see if I can bypass the leveling section. If not, I'll play with the code you supplied. Part of the problem is that the computer that is supposed to be connected to the printer is about 8 feet away. I had to use a laptop to run the Quick Start so I could wiggle the feeler gauge & tap on the up & down arrows without dashing back & forth... I've already discovered that getting a new filament to feed from that far away can be tricky.

Maybe someone else has a tidier solution, but at least I have options to explore.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:17 am

Yes those files predate the "Release" of the Rev E. but they were designed specifically for the Rev. E. A bunch of us did all the beta testing on the Rev. E before it was officially released. I still use that stand alone program all the time and it works fine.

Your over thinking much of what you're trying to do. :D

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

sthone wrote:Yes those files predate the "Release" of the Rev E. but they were designed specifically for the Rev. E. A bunch of us did all the beta testing on the Rev. E before it was officially released. I still use that stand alone program all the time and it works fine.

Your over thinking much of what you're trying to do. :D
"A man's got to know his limitations." I am very green at this, and don't want to crash my shiny new gadget.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll fire it up as soon as my new hot end & nozzle arrives (which should be later today).